Saturday, September 15, 2012

Closet transformation

--This post was written by Pete.--

Apparently lots of people have "that one closet" that they're always afraid of going into because of the amount of clutter that has built up... I had a closet like that, but I hated it more for it's uselessness... It was far too deep, you'd have to crawl up into it to get anything into the way back and plus the doors were so narrow that I always felt claustrophobic.  In sum, it was a waste of space and it soon became "that one closet"... we'd just throw things into it that we couldn't find a space for.

Here are some before pictures:
You can't see the doors because they're hidden.  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic).

The doors weighed a ton and the magnetic release thing didn't work correctly, so opening the closet was already a pain.  It was the type that you were supposed to push in and then the spring would push the doors out and they would be released... well, I'm not sure if it was the weight of the doors, the '70s carpet that was rubbing the bottom... or just the fact that the doors were no longer square to the frame.

Regardless of the fact that the doors didn't open well, I just didn't like the closet... I wanted to get rid of the whole thing, but Theresa didn't like my idea of eliminating the whole thing (that might be noticeable).

What she suggested was just make the doors wider and so...

Several hours of labor later and way more dust than I anticipated, and voila!  The space was transformed from a closet into...

An office!  OK, so it's not ideal to have an office in a closet, but when you're an amazing mother of four little boys who works from home, this comes in handy!  The desk fit just perfectly!

Anyway, I much prefer the use of space now.  Would I do it again knowing what I know now?  Probably... I'm a sucker for projects.


No comments: